Use of Laboratory Animals in Research
Course Coordinators: Adamantia Mitsacou, Giorgos Stathopoulos
The aim of the course is to present the basic data and principles necessary for humanitarian use and care of laboratory animals and quality of research using laboratory animals.
- Ethical issues on the use of small mammals in research.
- Rules on the protection of animals used in research.
- Welfare and handling of animals (anesthesia, euthanasia).
- Health and safety regulations in animal facilities.
- Use of genetically modified animals in biomedical research.
- Examples of animal models of human diseases.
- Statistical documentation of required number of animals in research protocols.
- Description of organizing experiments involving animals.
- Quality of research involving experiments in animals.
- Design of a research protocol using animal experiments.
- Practical training.